Decisions, decisions! Now we need to do the number's crunch and try to keep to a budget for the "trimmings" ... I will really need help here to keep reigned in, especially once dh has gone back to work. Of course, he gave the builder his work cell number and threatened to cut up my credit card should I become uncooperative :). He really has nothing to be worried about. I just have expensive taste, but I like to shop at discount stores and put things together for a fraction of the cost. But other times, when I'm a bit stressed and short on time, I go a little hog wild :) If anybody posts a comment from now on out, please, PLEASE, PLEASE remind me to work within the budget, OK! So here's the thought on siding color. Plain old beige. Boring, boring, boring ... but beige can be decked out to make a statement too! My first choice in siding is Hardy-Plank cement fiberboard ... but it's too expensive ... and on top, you have to have it painted which cost another 5-6 thousand dollars. Wood is expensive too and is subject to termite. And then there's vinyl. Yuck, I said! until I started seeing it mixed with real wood cedar shingle accents and wooden eves. You never have to paint it, and they're estremely fade resistent now-a-days. So, I figured we'd go with one of the higher end vinyl's as this is what's on about 75% of the homes in my new neighborhood. And you know what? They look very woodsy and craftsman and beautiful all rolled into one. (The only exterior finish I've ever had is stucco.) Next comes the choice in color for the cedar shingles and their size and shape! This is not easy! Carpet and wood flooring were on the menu this morning, and I think the builder rolled his eyes when the store called to rat on me that I have expensive taste. So back to the drawing board for a few items at that store. We did great on the cabinet budget :) ... A little overboard with the lights ... but I can fix that with swapping out just one fixture. I'll get the hang of this thing sooner or later.

Update:

P.S. Now we're debating the cost of the Hardi plank cement fiberboard siding again. It just never ends. To be continued after I meet with the builder. Another last minute change is the addition of a gas hookup... and changing the waterheater and stove from electric to gas. This means another research "party" on cooking ranges. To be continued, again. BTW, we went to the floor store this morning and found some flooring within our price range (a good thing).
I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning!

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Family Rooms

Coastal Gulf Cabins: Close By

Pipli Applique Decor Items for A Colorful Home